Sunday

Accepting ones vices

I wanted to talk about the Global fuel, no, not another lame environmental report on petroleum & climate change. I’m talking about the real engine of social evolution; greed. Greed, greed, greed, don’t they say that greed is the root of all evil. Just to make it sound even more Evil (I like to taking things to another level) I’ll also add the infamous word capitalist to it. “Greedy capitalist” two words that will most certainly make Michael Moore run like he doesn’t have the 300 pounds of excess weight.

Let me tell you a secret, everything runs on greed and by everything I mean everything; “Individuals pursuing their separate interests” as would Milton Friedman put it. I’m a great believer in greed, if everyone would strive to achieve their maximum potential, why would you have to worry about anyone else. Your grandma has cancer? I’m sorry but I don’t give a fuck, I wish I would but I really don’t. As long as I’m able to buy my frickin Ralph Lauren polo I’ll sleep just as comfortably tonight. Ditto on wanting to feel sympathy but I believe that the last thing the mourners need is my phony compassion.

Greed has also led us to some of the most incredible inventions; you think it was the government that led the Wright brothers to conquer gravity? Soviet countries are tangible proofs that society as whole isn’t capable of doing shit, only demarking individuals are able bring real progress.

The Merriam-Webster defines greed as a selfish and excessive desire for more of something (as money) than is needed. I’d stress on the part where it says “more than something than is needed”. I’ve heard this explanation a lot but I’d like to hear someone tell me what a need is. When you watch World Vision don’t you feel like you’re living above your “needs”? If so, then Merriam-Webster has already labeled you as greedy.

You could start panicking and look for pamphlets for a Buddhist monastery (preferably one near Tibet where there’s no access to drinking water or heat). Or, you could happily accept that you’re a greedy person and that’s probably why our specie has survived for thousands of years.

No comments:

Post a Comment